THE SLEDGE HOCKEY EXPERIENCE IS NOW CLOSED!
After an incredible six years of running The Sledge Hockey Experience, the decision was made to close program. It was a result of choosing to prioritize my health, which I wrote about in my blog at www.kevinrempel.com.
My team and I have so many incredible memories that we are eternally grateful for!
Here are some of our highlights:
- We engaged over 1,200 people who have never played before to experience Paralympic sport
- We created over 40 instructional sledge hockey videos for new players to learn how to play
- We raised over $30,000 and donated 32 sets of sleds, sticks, and hockey gear to children with disabilities
- We delivered a VIP experience for the Invictus Games athleteswhile in Toronto
- The program has been featured on Hometown Hockey, the Toronto Maple Leafs, The Morning Show, and a mini-documentary was created by Accessible Media Inc.
- We supported several non-profits in their endeavours, such as Spinal Cord Injury Ontario, Road Hockey to Conquer Cancer, and the Canadian Paralympic Committee, while continuing to grow the game
A special “Thank you!” goes out to The Ford Performance Centre, RBC, All Sports All People, Spinal Cord Injury Ontario, The Canadian Paralympic Committee and its partners. Each of you were particularly monumental in the steppingstone stages of the program.
Additionally, to everyone who attended an event, shared their experience, posted a photo, and even simply had a discussion about the program, my team and I thank you for everything you did to help make our program a success!
TO HELP GUIDE YOU FURTHER…
If you are searching for direction on how to get involved in the sport, I encourage you to reach out directly to one of the programs listed below.
Cruisers Sports – If you are in the Greater Toronto Area, this is a great local club to reach out to begin playing with. Contact Ken Hall at [email protected].
Hamilton Sledgehammers – If you are near the Hamilton/Burlington/Milton area, contact Allen Hierlihy at [email protected].
Parasport Niagara – If you are near the Niagara region, contact Kevin Waters at [email protected].
Ontario Sledge Hockey Association – If you live in a different region of Ontario and would like to be connected to a local club team, contact Darren Cunliffe at [email protected].
LOOKING FOR TIPS ON HOW TO PLAY?
The Sledge Hockey Experience in partnership with Parasport Ontario have created a series of instructional sledge hockey videos to help get your started and evolve in the sport.
Check out the videos below or visit Kevin’s YouTube channel here for tips or tricks on how to turn, shoot, set up your sled, and much more as you get a jump on the competition (or your colleagues) today!
Until we meet again, stay #buttdown and have a #sledgendary day!